If you can breathe, you can do Yoga.
It is okay if you can’t touch your toes. Yoga is extremely effective at improving flexibility over time. Other benefits of yoga include improved balance, strength, mood and ability to sleep.
What is Hatha Yoga?
Hatha Yoga is an ancient practice of yoga techniques that probably originated about 400-500 years ago. Using tools such as asanas (poses), pranayama (breathing practices) and mudras (ways of locking energy) we smooth out the flow of prana (life force) in our bodies, which keeps us healthy, balanced and stable.
“We do everything possible in our life to ensure that the prana in our system flows smoothly” — TKV Desikachar
Why practice Yoga?
- Engages inner strength
- Increases cardiovascular capacity and circulation
- Promotes cleansing of emotional and physical toxins from the body
- Vitality is enhanced
- Develops a new sense of clarity and confidence
- Maintains a healthy, balanced and stable state of being
“We will benefit from yoga to whatever extent we do it. By practicing the yamas, compassion toward all living beings arises. Asanas give us strength, and pranayama gives us health and longevity.” — Sri T. Krishnamacharya
What is Restorative Yoga?
Restorative yoga is a very powerful practice. Using support of blankets and bolsters, we place our bodies comfortably in yoga poses for longer amounts of time, allowing our bodies to let us in at our own pace and enabling a deep opening of the body. Rather than practicing Power Yoga and “working out”, we explore the Power of Yoga to access strength and balance of a different kind. If you can breathe, you can do restorative yoga!
For upcoming public classes and workshops I am teaching, please see my Events and Workshops page.
Yoga for Wellness — contact me for details
Special Healing Yoga for UCSD Moores Cancer Center patients and family
“Anne’s class is very healing. She has an excellent command of spiritual and physical aspects of yoga.”
Certifications and Advanced Training
- E-RYT® 500 (Registered Yoga Teacher, Yoga Alliance)
- 500 Hour Certification — Master Yoga Foundation 2000-2001
- 200 Hour Vinyasa Certification 2011
- YACEP® (Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider®)
- Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor
- Reiki Master-Teacher Level III
- Embodyment® Training — Master Yoga Foundation
- Certified in Quantum Touch Hands-on Healing
- Advanced Training in Raja Yoga
- Advanced Training in Teaching Restorative Hatha Yoga
- Training in Ayurvedic Principles, Lifestyle, Nutrition, Anatomy & Physiology, Sanskrit and Marma Chikitsa — Ayurvedic Institute, Dr Vasant Lad
- Yoga for Cancer Therapy Training
- iRest Yoga Nidra Meditation — Richard Miller PhD
- Professional member — National Ayurvedic Medical Association
- Certified Yoga Therapist — International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Hatha Yoga
- Therapeutic Vinyasa
- Gentle Hatha Yoga
- Restorative Yoga
- Yoga Nidra — yogic sleep
- Pranayama & Meditation
- “Yoga for Athletes”
- “Yoga for Swimmers”
- “Yoga for Teens”
Yoga Therapy & Healing
- Private Yoga Therapy
- Intuitive Counseling may be included
- Ayurvedic Wellness Counseling also available
- Yoga Therapy is remarkably effective for treatment of all addiction issues
- Reiki Healing Sessions
- Yoga Therapy and Reiki can be combined for deeper healing
I offer Yoga Therapy at Confidential Recovery in San Diego, where we specialize in confidential treatment of all addiction issues. Please call 619-452-1200 or contact me for more information if you or someone you know could use our help.
Workshops for Yoga Teachers:
- Teaching Restorative Yoga
— taking your students deeper
- Teaching Yoga for Athletes
— developing pranic intelligence
- The Power of Consciousness
— yoga philosophy
- Anatomy of the Energy Body
— chakras, nadis & koshas
- Teaching with Sanskrit
— the language of yoga
— asana names, correct pronunciation
— read and write the Devanagari alphabet“The success of Yoga does not lie in the ability to perform āsanas, but in how it positively changes the way we live our lives.” – T.K.V. Desikachar
The Yoga Therapy components of my practice and instruction are based on my Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor and C-IAYT certifications and not derived from my status as an E-RYT® with Yoga Alliance Registry.